What is referral management?
- The processes surrounding how providers and staff select providers for referrals, submit referrals to them, and track associated outcomes.
Why is effective referral management important for hospitals & health systems?
Learn how primary care providers make decisions about specialty referrals.
What are the current issues in referral management?
- Reliance on familiar providers, who may not be the right fit for each patient's particular needs – and may be out of network
- Patient-provider mismatches due to insufficient or inaccurate provider information
- Difficulty ensuring patients leave with clear next steps and their next appointment booked
Hear how Houston Methodist addressed these issues.
What can hospitals & health systems do to improve referral management?
- Establish a centralized, accurate provider directory for the whole network that contains detailed areas of clinical expertise.
- Make it easy for providers and staff to search for the right providers for patients' needs across the network.
- Analyze clinical coverage across your provider network and take steps to fill gaps where needed.
- Enable those referring to view and book into providers' calendars to remove key pain points in the process.
- Track referral patterns in and out of network and better understand barriers to patient retention.
Get more information on provider referrals in our Resource Center!